Sunday, January 24, 2016

TOW #16 - "Bossypants" (Part 2)

               Tina Fey is not necessarily known for being a world-renowned author, but she definitely showed her more well known skills of being a comedian in her writing. Finishing this book is very bittersweet because while I love reading a book until its end, I will definitely miss her wit and innate humor. While comedy undoubtedly drives this autobiography, allusions and an appeal to logos dominate as well.
               The allusions to people like Elvis and Bill Clinton as well as an appeal to logos show that Tina Fey isn't just a funny girl with a pretty face. She knows what she's talking about, and also being able to make jokes about current events allows for her to appeal to a whole other audience. While talking about interacting with black people when she was younger, she says that her "generation carries that with us, only to be constantly disappointed by Kanye West and Taylor Swift" (103). She is flawlessly able to connect to her audience by bringing her own experiences, like interacting with black people for the first time, together with more recent events that even common folk would know and be entertained when reading it.
                While I first believed that her purpose was to show that no one is perfect, and that definitely includes celebrities like her, I think it goes farther than that. Tina Fey shared so many embarrassing stories that make her either look like a horrible person or a big freak, and it's to show that anyone can do anything they set their mind to, because it'll eventually work out in the end. I think this book was written for those that need to be able to laugh at themselves, and not be deterred by those that tell them "no" or show that they aren't particularly fond of you. While that really stinks sometimes, it can actually motivate you like it did to Fey. I've personally struggled with this and I can say from my own experience that she was without a doubt able to convince her audience using these rhetorical strategies throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment